Tuesday, October 6, 2009

A Visit To Rantau Abang

Last August , I went to Rantau Abang to watch turtle lay eggs . I arrived at the beach at 10 p.m. I waited with a group of tourists.It was quite cold but there was a bright moon.

At 1 a.m. , a turtle came out of the sea. I kept very quiet. The tourists kept very quiet too.We did not want to frighten the turtle away.The turtle crawled up the beach and selected a spot. It began to dig a hole with its front flippers.When the hole was deep enough,it laid its egg in the hole. It laid many eggs.I could now go near the turtle. When it had finished laying its eggs,it covered the hole with sand and slowly crawled back to the sea.

The guide explained that very few turtles came to lay eggs anymore. Many turtles which were caught in fishing nets were killed by fishermen. Most of the turtle eggs were collected and sold by the local people.

No comments: